Friday, January 30, 2009

Burdock 5

There’s a new issue of the Milwaukee-based journal, Burdock. Burdock 5 is something of an unofficial tribute to James Liddy, who recently died. Editor Keith Gaustad’s photo of James on an Irish beach (“Poet looking on the Irish sea”) graces the cover and makes for an auspicious if bittersweet start. Page one is a short remembrance of James by Keith, and an exchange of notes between them in preparation for the magazine launch and reading which eventually took place at Woodland Pattern, unfortunately without James.

Page two is Liddy’s remembrance of John Ashbery (still alive), incidents of a life which become first representative and then mythical. It made me think of James’ unique style of storytelling and ultimately of his poetry, and that I miss him. Take another drink.

I’m included here, along with Jim Chapson, Tyler Farrell, Paul Vogel, Shannon Ward, to mention a few others who initially caught my eye. Tim Miller’s got some excerpts from his ongoing Roman history series. As always, and original to Burdock, some of the poems are rendered on sticker paper. I’d like to know if anyone ever sticks these poems in other places. There are some short prose pieces here too, though I rarely read new prose in journals with the same attention as I do poetry. Probably a flaw on my part. I liked Thomas Kovacich’s abstract nude on the inside back cover. It reminds me of something I can’t quite remember.

Contact this very cool journal Burdock: burdockmagazine@gmail.com, and/or click the first link above for further info on the internet.

5 comments:

Teppichfesser Press said...

The release reading at Woodland Pattern was well attended. Issue six will be out in the spring, with any luck.

Jonathan Lohr said...

I actually stuck your poem "Their Happier in Milwaukee" on my coworker's (a fellow Brewers fan)work locker a few months ago. Spring training has now started and it still remains.

Jonathan Lohr said...

Pardon my typo.. "They're Happier in Milwaukee"

Mike Begnal said...

I'm hoping I'll have to write a poem about the Mets winning the WS this year....

Jonathan Lohr said...

Do you think it's too early for an elegaic poem about the Brewers pitching?